Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ash goes to Washington

As everyone knows, I recently moved to Washington D.C. and began an internship with Senator Hatch. It has been a crazy, life changing event. I've never moved out before, and now I am all the way across the country. It is a growing up experience, that's for sure.

Mom and I on the Metro
I was lucky enough to have my mom come out with me and get me all settled in. We had some adventures on the metro! It is crazy that I ride it every day to and from work. It has taken a lot of getting used to! I have to transfer between lines both ways, which means I have to get off one train and hop onto another one. Its been a little stressful, but I think I have it down now.

Me and my mom went and saw the Jefferson Memorial. It currently ranks as my favorite memorial. Its a beautiful building to a pretty spectacular man. We also went to Ford's Theater, where Lincoln was shot, and the house across the street where he died. Both places were super interesting, and quite morbid. I felt weird standing in the room where one of our greatest presidents was brutally murdered by a coward. From there we went to the National Portrait Gallery where they keep all the portraits of past presidents. It was a really cool place, and we had fun wandering around and looking at all the paintings.


The box where Lincoln was shot
<>
THE gun that killed Lincoln


The house where Lincoln died
Sadly, all good things must come to an end and my momma had to go home. Not gonna lie, that day sucked way bad. I explored Georgetown with some friends on that day, just jetting all around D.C!
Monday was the first day of work, and it was a whirlwind of information. It's been really cool and I like my job. Giving tours of the Capitol building will be awesome!

Today me and a few of the interns got some free time to walk around the Capitol after hours. I am already in love with the Capitol Building. The historical events that have happened inside and the amazing people who have walked the same halls I get to walk ... its just mindblowing. I find myself just standing and thinking how lucky I am that I can even be there! I am filled with National Pride ladies and gents, all the way to my ears. The Capitol Building is inspirational, and I can't wait to continue exploring it and become a master tour guide!!

The ceiling of the Rotunda


Me standing alone in the middle of the Rotunda
 I am so lucky to be able to walk past these things to and from work and walk inside on a frequent basis. Tonight, I count myself luck to be out here in the capitol city of the United States, and I am very proud to be an American!

1 comment:

  1. So cool Ash! I can't wait to read about your adventures. Blogging is my outlet and I love it when people I adore jump on the band wagon so I can keep up on their lives! You are so brave and you will NEVER regret going out on your own - just know you are loved and you can do it!

    ReplyDelete