Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dream me a dream

Lately I have been having strange dreams. I wake up in the middle of the night and have to take a moment to get my bearings back in reality. Some of these dreams have been nightmares and I wake up with my heart pounding and a cold sweat across my forehead. Others have been glimpses into the past or future what-ifs that I wish were real. Sometimes they are filled with people I miss so much my heart hurts, other times they are filled with people I have never met before. Sometimes I remember the details when I awake, other times I only remember the feelings.

The dreams I have had lately have got me thinking: What are dreams? There are a million different explanations and even more interpretations. Sometimes when I Google what I remember of my dreams, the explanations I find make sense. Other times they are so off base I spend hours laughing about them.

For a few months I had dreams of monsters and scary things chasing me. It always started the same but the endings were drastically different. Sometimes I died horrific deaths-falling off buildings, getting speared by monsters, and burning in the sunlight are a few I remember. Other times I made it to the safe zone or the finish line and lived to dream another dream. After having the dream multiple times I decided to turn to one of the many online dream interpreters and this was my answer:

To dream that you are being chased represents issues or situations that you are avoiding facing, or confronting. Something you may feel is impossible to overcome or defeat. It may also reflect something you don't want to acknowledge. You may have anxiety, strong fears, insecurities, or guilt. 

At that moment in my life, I was avoiding a major situation in my life and running away from dealing with it. My dreams might have led me to admitting this and I was able to confront my issue. I probably would have figured it out eventually, but the dreams definitely helped.

So what are dreams? According to the world:




I'm not really sure what the point of this entry was, just my thoughts on the subject. Thus far I don't really have an answer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment